Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Day off (ANZAC Day)

Today was a big holiday in Australia and New Zealand known as ANZAC (Australia New Zealand Army Corps) Day. (It's kind of nice having a day off in the middle of the week)

"25 April is the anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli in 1915. On the first anniversary of that landing services were held throughout the country in remembrance of the 2,721 New Zealand soldiers who died during the eight-month Gallipoli Campaign. Since 1916 ANZAC Day has evolved to the observance we know today."

Erin and I headed out for a walk to the War Museum and Auckland Domain (A domain is a cool way of saying large grassy area with trees, etc.) We ate some sandwiches and wondered around the area for a while. Then we headed into New Market to look in some shops and hopefully purchase some new shoes for Erin and maybe for myself. Honest to god, we must have gone into 25 different shoe stores during the afternoon. Erin tried on a couple pairs, but nothing felt too good, so after all that work...NO SHOES.

A guy from work turns 30 today so we are going to a bar to have a few drinks later on. Nothing too much as tomorrow is Erin's first day at work. I'm sure some time tonight will be spent laying out her outfit for tomorrow. I'll try and take a picture of Erin on her first day and post it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin, have you found any bags yet? I know how you ladies like bags!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys are masters of your own domains (grassy areas). I wonder how they got all those troops over there.. by boat? It is 1915 so I don't think a plane would have been available. I wonder if they were worried they wouldn't get there in time.

J-man. FYI update on the home front. For $10 (US) I got a sweet 2005 baseball game for your Xbox. It includes a mode where you reenact the 04 ALCS and 04 WS with the teams from back then.

Good luck at work Erin.

Erin said...

No bags yet, but my favorite just arrived in a package from home. I'll be on the lookout soon though, I'm sure :)