Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Danger Zone

Early Sunday morning I was woken up by yelling and screaming in the streets. We live close to a bunch of bars, so this noise on the weekends isn't uncommon. This just sounded louder and worse than ever, so I jumped up to investigate. At the end of the road, in a dark parking lot I could see a large group of people. It looked to me like there was a fight. Suddenly everyone took off running and I could see what looked like a body on the ground. A cab pulled up next to the person and I, not thinking clearly, went back to bed.

A few hours later, when the sun was up, we could see that the police had taped off the area and were conducting an investigation. Jeremy and I hurried to get dressed and tell them what we knew (not much more than there was a fight), but hoping that we might help catch the "bad guy".

The policeman informed us that there was indeed a fight and the man I saw was now in a coma. The guy has been in our thoughts all week and we were happy to learn today that he's doing okay. He came out of the coma after 36 hours and has undergone some surgery. He was also able to be there today for the birth of his first son! While this guy had a bad Saturday night, God was watching out for him in the end.

Here is a link to the story that ran in the paper: Saturday night brawl

There is also a crappy quality, but still terrifying video of the whole ordeal. Don't worry, we do live in a safe neighborhood. It's just the crazies who are out all night at the bars causing trouble...oh Hi Jeremy!

1 comments:

Jim Storer said...

That's the scariest video I think I've ever seen. The last 30 seconds is beyond human. I hope they catch those scumbags, fit them with cement shoes and toss them off a boat in the harbor. Wow...