Sunday, August 24, 2008

Snowboarding

On Friday, Erin and I left the city around 3pm to head south towards Tongariro National Park. This was the first national park in New Zealand (the fourth in the world) and is also the home to Mt. Ruapehu. If you remember, last winter, we headed down here and went skiing on an active volcano. This volcano also had an eruption in September of last year.

It took us 4 hours to get there and we arrived at the bach (holiday home) around 7pm and hung out with the various friends that we were meeting down there. In total there were 10 of us, but we only knew 4 of them prior (Gareth, Clare, David, and Katy).

On Saturday we headed to Whakapapa ski field which is on one side of the mountain. We both decided to try snowboarding since the rest of the people we were with are snowboarders. Erin has never done it before, but I have gone snowboarding 1 time with Kevin Baker back in 1990 (I believe). I didn't like it at all then, but Erin and I both had a blast and really enjoyed ourselves. We both did really well and will try it again.

Unfortunately, the weather on Sunday wasn't the greatest and rained very hard. We ended up just driving home, but made it through the rain.

2 comments:

Andy said...

hope you have plenty of ice for your bums...

Erin said...

I sat on the snow waiting for Jeremy, so I'm feeling okay now fortunately.