Sunday, September 9, 2007

World Cup of Rugby

The World Cup has finally arrived and the NZ is very excited. I know that we have blogged about the All Blacks in the past, but I figured I would give you guys a little refresher.


The All Blacks are the New Zealand National Rugby team. The origin of the name is still up for debate as to whether it came from the color of their uniforms when they first toured the world in 1905 (black with a silver fern) or a spelling mistake in the paper which was writing about how the team was made up of "all backs" (A back is a position on the rugby team). Not only are they ranked number 1 in the world, they are also know for the Maori traditional war dance called the Haka which is performed prior to any match and is awesome to watch.

The Rugby World Cup is in France and I spent my Saturday parked in front of the TV watching various games. It started out at 7:30am watching France v Argentina (Argentina had a big upset). The All Blacks v. Italy started at 11:45pm (NZ crushed them). At 2am in the morning Australia v. Japan started and it wasn't even close, as Japan looked like a little children playing against full grown men. At 4am USA v. England started. I was unaware that the US had a team, but they played pretty well against England who won the World Cup back in 2003. Unfortunately they ended up losing.

So opening weekend for the NFL and the BFL were non-existent for me as I'm fully wrapped up in the opening of the Rugby World Cup. Stay tuned for regular updates.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Argentina!!