Monday, April 13, 2009

Xi'an and Guilin

It's been a while since we have posted last, but we have been very busy doing things in China. I will put down some of the things in bullets below, and then add in a few stories.
-Took the overnight train from Beijing to Xi'an and shared a room with 2 Chinese people
-Maria (our English speaking guide) met us at the airport and brought us to meet our driver (Mr. Bai) and then we were off
-Saw the remains of a 6000 year old tribe at an archaeological site (the tribe was called Banpo tribe)
-Saw the Terracotta Warriors which were constructed to protect the Emperors tomb (there are over 6000 of them and were discovered about 30 years ago by some farmers)...AMAZING
-Rode a double bike on the top of the old city wall
-Ate lots of dumplings
-Saw the bell and drum towers
-Flew to Guilin and took a taxi ride from a scary driver to the hotel
-Took a boat cruise on the Li River (saw amazing mountain peaks, very beautiful)
-Walked around the streets
-Went into some caves, saw Pagodas, got stared at

We have done a lot over the past few days. There are a lot of children over here who wear pants that have a hole in the crotch area. The reason for this is that diapers are expensive and a lot of people don't have money for them, so they keep it open and the kids just go to the bathroom when they have to (very weird). We saw the first kid with this in Beijing, but here in Guilin, we have seen so many more with them. In Xi'an when we were in a restaurant eating dumplings and enjoying ourselves, I looked over Erins shoulder and saw...yes that's right a kid peeing on the floor of the restaurant...I'm not joking.

Erin and I have done a lot of things over our lives where people have been watching us from performing shows, solo's, playing sports, giving speeches, to guest lecturing. All of these events have resulted in people looking at us, but NEVER in our lives have we had so many people staring at us. It's unreal, at first I thought I had something on my face, then I thought my fly was open. None of those were it, I think that many people in Xi'an and Guilin especially may be visiting from a farming village and just haven't seen people as good looking as us...hahah

The other day we took the Li River cruise here in Guilin, we booked it through the Sheraton (where we are staying) and our tour guide was David. He was very nice and as we approached the dock area, there were probably about 1000 people outside getting on various boats. He told us that it's very important to stick together just like "sticky rice". From then on, Erin and I called him Sticky David. It probably isn't funny to all of you reading this, but trust me, Erin and I are laughing right now thinking about it.

Ok, that's it from us here in Guilin, we're off to Shanghai tomorrow morning. Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your 'amazingly good looks' theory is correct!!!

It sounds like you have been seeing some incredible sights. I have finally found a second today to read through your blog and I am in awe of everything you have accomplished thus far. I can't wait to hear more!

We just returned from GBI yesterday afternoon with the gang. It was a fab time and full of some funny adventures. I will blog post as soon as I get some time. Steve & I were saying on the way home how much we were missing the two of you.

Oh . . . the plants are doing good!

Unknown said...

We are bummed we missed the GBI adventure and I'm sure it was a blast. Glad to hear that the plants are doing well, have you guys used the BBQ yet?

We're in Shanghai heading for Vietnam tonight.

Unknown said...

"Sticky rice" was also used by the guide on our Vietnam trip. He used it as shorthand for "Time to come together" so he could explain something. Perhaps that's what they teach in Asian Tour Guide School.